Sprinkler Apprentices are responsible for assisting sprinkler foreman and sprinkler fitters in the installation of sprinkler heads, valves, and steel and CPVC pipe in newly constructed structures and renovations to existing structures. Sprinkler Apprentices are also enrolled and making progress in the AFSA's Apprenticeship Program.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assist sprinkler foreman and sprinkler fitter with installation of pipe, valves, fitting, sprinkler heads, and other fire protection components.
- Ensure all work areas remain clean, safe, and orderly while working and at the end of the workday.
- Clean, inspect and service required tools in accordance with company policies.
- Maintain and organize lay down area on a daily basis.
- Operating threading machine and required tools/equipment in a safe manner.
- Follow directions and guidance from sprinkler foreman and sprinkler fitters on job site to ensure fire protection components are install correctly and in a safe manner.
- Sprinkler apprentices are expected to continually make progress in their fire protection education in a formal training as well as on the job training.
- Understand and follow FLSA's Safety program, SDS book, Hazardous communication program, policies and procedures. Participate in weekly Toolbox talks. Apprentices must know where all related safety documentation is at all times on each project.
The qualifications listed below are representative of the elements required to perform the job successfully, however in some cases, an equivalent combination of Education, Training, Certifications and Experience may meet the job qualifications.
Education, Training, Certifications:
- HS Diploma or equivalent preferred.
Experience, Knowledge, Skill Requirements:
- 0-2 years' experience installing fire sprinkler systems preferred. Must be able to work alone and as part of a team. Construction experience, basic math skills, mechanical aptitude, problem solving skills, ability to multitasking, and the ability to meet project schedules preferred.
- Must have the ability to read, write and communicate in English.
Systems and Software Skills:
- Valid driver's license with acceptable driving record required.
- Must be able to comply with FLSA's Drug and Alcohol policy and Background screening requirements, which may also include customer specific requirements based on contractual agreement
PHYSICAL & WORK ENVIROMENT REQUIREMENTS
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform Essential Job Duties.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is consistently required to bend, ascend and descend step stools, ladders and stairs, kneel, lift <50lbs, reach above and below shoulders, stand and walk for extended periods of time. Employee is required to see in color, close and far distances, peripheral, depth, and adjust focus. Employee will frequently balance, crouch, drive, kneel, lift >50lbs, sit, stoop, twist and work at heights.
Frequent local travel is required. Employee will frequently be required to work inside and outside in hot/cold temperatures, wet conditions and be exposed to loud noises, cramped quarters, dust, fumes and odors, and standing on hard surfaces frequently. Employees will occasionally be exposed to electrical hazards, chemicals, uneven and slippery surfaces. Employee will be consistently wear all appropriate personal protective equipment, as required by company safety policies.
About Fire & Life Safety America
Fire & Life Safety America is one of the fastest growing companies in the southeast and is proud of a well-deserved reputation for quality work and talented professionals. Our goal is to save lives and protect property by providing the best fire protection products and services in America.
FLSA is a full service provider that designs, installs, inspects, tests, and repairs all components of integrated fire protection systems. As an essential part of community safety, we provide 24-hour service assistance to residents, businesses, and health care facilities.
Founded in 1997, FLSA is the premier fire protection provider with offices in VA, MD, DC, NC, SC, AL, TN, FL, GA, and TX. FLSA encourages initiative, independence, diversity and personal career growth with sensitivity towards work-life balance.
Our company is consistently recognized for service excellence while enriching the fire protection industry. FLSA supports trade skills and workforce development by hosting Recognized Apprenticeships and on-the-job (OJT) training programs for new career-seekers. Many of our leaders chair NFPA code compliance committees, regional safety boards, and support technical education in local schools. We challenge our employees to continue training and education by encouraging NICET certifications. We continually strive to be the Employer of Choice for highly motivated Team Members who want to succeed in a fast-paced environment. We encourage initiative, independence, diversity, and personal career growth.
Fire & Life Safety America offers extensive training opportunities, career advancement, competitive pay, bonus opportunities, and an excellent benefit package. Our benefits package includes:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Long Term Disability
- Short Term Disability
- Life Insurance for Team Members and dependents
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Vacation and Holidays
- Employee Referral Program
FLSA Core Values
- We are PASSIONATE about life safety.
- We have INTEGRITY (Do the right thing).
- We work in PARTNERSHIP with our customers and community.
- We constantly strive for OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE (do things right).
- Our Employee's, Customer's, and community's SAFETY is our #1 priority.
FLSA participates in E-Verify & promotes a drug-free workplace. FLSA is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.